Thursday, December 6, 2012

Canning Blueberry Syrup

A couple of weeks ago I was given a 2 quart bag of frozen blueberries. I didn't need any more for pie filling since I canned a bunch of that back in June so I thought about just using them for pancakes and muffins. Then I realized I had enough blueberries in the freezer to last me a year for them. So the only other thing that came to mind was the fact that I love blueberry syrup on pancakes and waffles. I pulled out my every so handy canning book and low and behold there was a blueberry syrup recipe in there.

I have been sick for the last 4 days with strep throat and even if I didn't feel any better this morning when I got up I figured I need to do something no matter what it was so I decided to make the blueberry syrup. So I started pulling on what I need to make it.


Here is the start. A stainless steel pot, 2 quart measuring cup and 2 cups of water. First I measured the blueberries to make sure there was two quarts of them.



Yep there was! Then I poured the berries in to the pot, added the two cups water, placed them on the burner and brought them to a boil. As soon as they started to boil I reduced the heat to a simmer and let them simmer for 5 minutes. Then I crushed them with a potato masher.

 
Juice before straining
 
 
After straining.
 
After crushing them I strained them through a damp jelly bag. Washed to pot, put 4 cups water into the pot along with 3 cups of granulated sugar; boiled it to 230 degrees , added the blueberry juice and 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel. Boiled for 5 minutes. Stirred in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and ladled the syrup in to hot jars.
 
 
All ready for the two piece caps!
 
 
 
All nestled in their hot bath ready to be boiled for 15 minutes!
 
 
Here they are. All 10 lovely half pints of blueberry syrup! I see lots of pancakes and waffles in our future with some lovely blueberry syrup and butter on them. YUM!!
I would share but you all know how it is. Just can't let something this good go any where other than my tummy. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment